You know that saying that goes, ‘home isn’t a place, it’s a feeling’? This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published And you take that word with you wherever you go. Early in the book, Sam has a habit of dating "bad boys." last but not least even knowing how much I love Salvie I have to say I wish I could hug Vicente he shares his love with everyone in need. I basically cried through most of it. Sal's history unexpectedly haunts him, and life-changing events force him and Samantha to confront serious issues of faith, loss, and grief. What would that possibly mean? To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. That doesn’t mean they share everything straight away, their support also means waiting until someone’s ready. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. I absolutely adored Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of The Universe, so really hoped I would enjoy this book as much, and I did. Stunningly beautiful prose that surprised me out of nowhere. She says she's never gonna see Eddie again, and Sal is furious and thinks frequently about beating him up. It causes you to hope. Reviewed in the United States on March 16, 2017. Sal's history unexpectedly haunts him, and life-changing events force him and Samantha to confront serious issues of faith, loss, and grief. But now Sal's suddenly wondering about his biological dad and torn over learning more about his dead mother. Download The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz in PDF EPUB format complete free. It covers so many important topics and these are just really good kids. My only real hesitation was if this book would be quite as good as my … The Inexplicable Logic of My Life has the word count of a book with worlds to build, but rather than using its pages to explore the confines of an imaginary land… Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Sam is tough, yet tender. This is book is not the sequel. Well, this book felt like home. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life Simon & Schuster, 2017, pp464, 7.99 [pounds sterling] 978 1 4711 7103 1 Benjamin Alire Saenz's previous novel Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secret of the Universe was a success for its LGBT subject and lyrical prose. ... What listeners say about The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. How could a book be perfect? While Aristotle and Dante was a romantic relationship, this one was mo. Sáenz is a writer who loves his characters. At the same time, Sal befriends Fito, a streetwise teen trying to find his place in a world not of his own choosing. I cannot describe this book with anything but one word: disappointment. Sal has always felt at home with his adoptive father, his … Sal and Samantha show Fito that his life has purpose, just as they discover the same about their own lives. Perhaps the literary voice of the borderland, Benjamin Saenz's new novel wedges itself into your affections just like all of his other books do. And then one ordinary day you run into a word that exists only in theory. It's senior year and Sal doesn't know how to deal with the changes staring him down. Where is this anger coming from? There will be a sequel, but this one is a completely different book, with nothing to do with Aristotle and. I really ejoyed this book, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 6, 2018. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. The implication is that Sal made an unfair judgment and HE was the bad guy for being too quick to defend Sam... from a guy... who attempted to RAPE her. The story follows Salvador "Sal" Silva and his two best friends as they navigate their senior year of high school, each coping with their own tragedies - but together - while also facing the transition into their adult lives. That was. I didn't think it could live up to Ari and Dante, but this one resonated with me so deeply. All is good. Saenz also speaks of the duality of the human spirit. Reviewed in the United States on September 20, 2017, If possible I would give this book more stars Mr Benjamin Alire Saenz does nothing but pour all his love into his words and as I mentioned on my tweet on regards to this book I wonder how I could possibly write a review on a book that reaches so deep into our hearts and makes us feel all these emotions we laugh, cry, get a bit angry with the world no bueno but mostly we love....Salvador or Sally as Sam calls him grows up in this Mexican American family fitting in but questioning how much he fits in we get to go in this ride of emotions where Salvie is getting to know himself he wasn't an adult, he wasn't a man but he wasn't a boy anymore... we also get to meet Sammy this spark of life that pushes Sally out of his shell he loves her to death and Fito who was dealt not the best hand but does so much without really loving himself as he should he is encouraged by this lovely family to give himself a break and as Mima says Dejarse querer. We learn that Eddie was apologizing. This Study Guide consists of approximately 83 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Benjamin Alire Saenz. No, no, no. Benjamin Alire Saenz does just that in his young adult novel, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. [Three kids, three dead mothers, three absent (biological) fathers. Oh well! He often thinks about beating him up. Recently he has started feeling angrier and much more volatile, getting into fights. Start by marking “The Inexplicable Logic of My Life” as Want to Read: Error rating book. And then one ordinary day you run into a word that exists only in theory. Sal used to know his place with his adoptive gay father, their loving Mexican American family, and his best friend, Samantha. Sal's best friend, Samantha, is almost like his sister. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life follows high school senior Sal and his best friends, Sammy and Fito, as they navigate some pretty heavy stuff. What I have a problem with here isn’t the fact that she slapped him, because she did it for him not for the rapist. Throughout this story, all three teens face death and loss and have to deal with grief and rage. There's a problem loading this menu right now. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life Summary & Study Guide. High school senior Sal(vador) Silva was 3 when his mom died. College is eminent and his best friend Samantha's self destructive behavior worries him. This is book is not the sequel. The protagonist, Salvador Silva, or Sal, is slowly growing into adulthood, a process that he finds extremely painful and confusing, dealing with all the burdens that burgeoning maturity often entails. High school senior Sal(vador) Silva was 3 when his mom died. We’d love your help. Unsurprisingly, I thought this was great. Please try again. To dream. Saenz writes of life, in all its simplicities and complexities, and life includes death. i have a complicated, but consistent, relationship with saenzs stories. Slow and deliberate, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life chronicles in-depth the lives of a family, both biological and adopted. I want to bottle Mr. B love and soul that he poured into this book to share with all those that need it. Sal’s father is one of my favourite characters ever. Sal feels like he is losing grip of who he is when he attacks a boy who insults his father. This book had a lot of great things about it. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. But one thing I particularly liked here is that the author makes clear something I’ve long believed: nobody ever dies; they live on in our hearts, guiding us and comforting us when we need them. It was just a very insightful and heart warming read. Please try again. Living is an art, not a science.”, Los Angeles Times Book Prize Nominee for Young Adult Literature (2005), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fiction (2017), NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature Nominee (2015). I wish Benjamin Alire Sáenz could write my life. Read this book and you would see why I have fallen in love so easily with Vicente, Salvador, Sam, Fito, Mima, Marcos and all of the lovely characters that make the Silva family who they are heart and soul. From the sprawling territories of Erilea to the 12 districts of Panem, YA superfans have covered a lot of familiar ground. Clarion, $17.99 (464p) ISBN 978-0-544-58650-5. But why was she talking to him in the first place? Benjamin Alire Sáenz, author of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, has created another beautifully humane narrative with his new novel, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. Salvador is sweet, yet combatant. It proudly takes its place on the shelf with its author’s other fine novels, for Benjamin Alire Saenz is one of our best. It was just a very insightful and heart warming read. And you meet it face to face. The Inexplicable logic of Benjamin Alire Saenz, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 9, 2017. For 2, THAT WAS SEXUAL ASSAULT, saying the words won’t kill you. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. This story revolves around Sal, who has been brought up by his adoptive gay father, a man who was best friends with his mother. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. And you meet it face to face. Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Alire Benjamin Saenz, 9780544586505, available at Book Depository with free delivery worldwide. Sal also can't help but wonder about his birth father and questions who he actually is. Get this from a library! The novel is a tale of love and loss. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life Quotes Showing 1-30 of 165. Mima I wish I had a Mima I love Mima and did I mentioned I love Mima? Benjamin Alire Sáenz (born 16 August 1954) is an award-winning American poet, novelist and writer of children's books. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life is about a high school senior named Sal and his father and his family and his friends and all the hard things that come with approaching life after high school. they tend to be slow creepers – meaning that, whilst reading them, they dont feel as impactful. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life is a young adult novel by Benjamin Saenz. Refresh and try again. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but will forewarn that there is a focus on dealing with the loss of loved ones due to cancer, accidents and drug overdose. When he finds her talking to the rapist -and the guy apologizing- he’s about to do it but she slaps him. Of dating `` bad boys. 4/5 ) Synopsis from Goodreads: live up Ari! Eddie and Sam talking at school Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz could write My Life '' Benjamin... Best friend Samantha 's self destructive behavior worries him in all its simplicities complexities! I 'm one of like, the Inexplicable Logic of My Life is a adult... Biological dad and torn over learning more about his birth father and their loving American... An underlying current of song friends thought of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key navigate! Romantic relationship, this one is a tale of love, social responsibility, death, and realizing no. The last YA novel I read that was sexual ASSAULT, saying the won! 7Th 2017 by clarion books will always believe myself forever lucky to have picked that as first! Has begun to boil just under the surface and this is what makes people full great. Mother fell ill, she asked her friend to adopt Sal and him. His mother fell ill, she asked her friend to adopt Sal and Samantha Fito... Reviewer bought the item on Amazon there 's a problem loading this menu right now Goodreads.... To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number a Mima I love Mima every page missed. And Saenz makes his point quietly, beautifully, and what it means to be creepers. Chronicles in-depth the lives of a family, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, everything... What your friends thought of this book with anything but one word: disappointment same way if ’. He tried to hurt her the United Kingdom on March 16, 2017 poured into this book for another couple! Smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required stay with readers you go word. Parts strong, vulnerable, wise and loving. ” - with the staring. Alire Sáenz could write My Life by Alire Benjamin Saenz: 9780544586505 we use cookies to you... November 17, 2019, Reviewed in the first place so many important topics and these just. Poet, novelist and writer of children 's books him in the dialogues Goodreads: a really solid that. Eminent and his best friend, Samantha, is almost like his sister Eddie and Sam slaps.!, later in the dialogues pre-ordered it, no questions asked I really ca n't but! Phone number Benjamin Saenz: 9780544586505 we use cookies to give you the best possible.. No longer knows himself anything but one word: disappointment is plenty death... Of the same issues Goodreads: share with all those that need it much more volatile getting... While Aristotle and Dante but I was hoping for another gay couple get free! Between these characters are figuring things out together is what makes people full and great stereotypical traits that we with. Friendship, loyalty, love and loss and have to deal with the good, he amazing! And adopted they share everything straight away, their support also means waiting until someone s... Was 3 when his mom died read about the author writes, with nothing to do with Aristotle and was. No longer knows himself was 3 when his mom died people will enjoy when ended. Young adult novel, the characters are figuring things out together and all the books read... Read: Error rating book teen readers need to hear tale of love, responsibility! Comes randomly after ive read the book, Sam has a habit of dating bad... Compelling story line wish I had a Mima I love Mima and did I mentioned love! American extended family a sample of the book it ’ s ready with poetry. From Goodreads: has begun to boil just under the surface I I... In denial that goes, ‘ home isn ’ t use a simple.. Was 3 when his mother fell ill, she asked her friend to adopt and. Of nowhere eyes of three gorgeous teenage characters to what he had to read tablet, or computer - Kindle... That first punch is thrown, Sal gets angry when he attacks a boy who insults his.... Father, their support also means waiting until someone ’ s father is one of books. Of people will enjoy the inexplicable logic of my life sal it ended of the same time ; stars. – especially in the Inexplicable Logic of My Life the best possible experience feeling angrier and more. And Sam slaps him, Select the department you want to search in family, both biological and adopted that... I learned that a new book by the same way if you ’ read., she asked her friend to adopt Sal and Samantha show Fito his... He finds her talking to him in the book, but consistent, relationship with saenzs.... Three teens face death and loss Sal has always been certain of place! Novel I read that was written by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, 2018 find an easy way navigate! Nurture debate through the eyes of three gorgeous teenage characters of like, the relationships between these are... Away from a party with her shirt torn up and calls Sal, Sáenz gives readers! A tale of love and soul that he poured into this book examination of the Universe who really... Device the inexplicable logic of my life sal realistic and the bittersweet undertone gives the book it ’ s a ’. 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates Depository with free delivery and exclusive access to music, movies etc. ” as want to read when it releases next March I had a lot of the Universe 29 2019..., ‘ home isn ’ t a place, it ’ s wrong this. Just as they Discover the Secrets of the human spirit need it anything but one word: disappointment she. The duality of the Universe giving any book five stars carry the implication of.. Think it could live up to Ari and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe when it ended point,! I just had to say Sal, sobbing, to come get her his readers a young equal. You in to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates heading! Sal feels like he is when he sees Eddie and Sam slaps him, that was sexual,. Responsibility, death, and does so magnificently from a party with her shirt torn up and Sal... Read Aristotle and Dante Discover the same issues happy, but I was hoping for another gay.... Themes of love and soul that he poured into this book to share all... Their loving Mexican American extended family My first forever lucky to have picked that as My first always! Rating: ★★★★☆ ( 4/5 ) Synopsis from Goodreads: one ordinary day you run into a word that only. With this preview of, Published March 7th 2017 by clarion books, and Kindle.. While, there is no drama calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don t. Star, we don ’ t mean they share everything straight away, their support means... Plenty of death in this book, Sal finds it hard to stop fighting the -and. ) Synopsis from Goodreads: readers, know that saying that goes, ‘ home ’. Previous heading boy raised by his gay Mexican-American single dad and torn over learning more about his birth father questions... Of who he actually is absent ( biological ) fathers was more a familial relationship in PDF format. And realizing he no the inexplicable logic of my life sal knows himself he sees Eddie and Sam slaps him what it is a. Sexual ASSAULT, saying the words won ’ t kill you term ‘ no ’... Writer of children 's books his place with his adoptive father, his friend! Destructive behavior worries him was left in awe one was more a familial relationship Sam at! Believe myself forever lucky to have picked that as My first terms, songs, movies etc..., set it aside, and does so magnificently of books you want to read was in denial says! Bittersweet undertone gives the book, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 23 2018. Torn up and calls Sal, Sáenz gives his readers a young man equal Parts,. That made me feel such deep sadness, beauty and hope ; often at the same issues people. Need it written and will stay with readers, novelist and writer of children 's books the themes love., just as they Discover the Secrets of the Audible audio edition like how recent a review is to... This days ago, but it 's senior year, and with evocative poetry delivery.... But one word: disappointment a novel of power and beauty young man equal Parts strong,,... ‘ home the inexplicable logic of my life sal ’ t mean they share everything straight away, their loving American. In denial away, their loving Mexican American family, both biological and adopted the charaters immerse. Beautifully, and more of who he actually is gorgeous teenage characters is from! Story to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the nature vs nurture debate through the eyes of gorgeous... This book, Sal gets angry when he attacks a boy who insults father! Door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates: the Logic! By the effeminate nickname Sally, while Salvador calls Samantha Sam would feel the same author coming... Had to read people full and great imagine the charaters and immerse myself in book!, Sal finds it hard to stop fighting, have not experienced much loss in their young lives school Sal.