And that is the kind of debt we have toward God. Or, "I want you to meet my mother" (or my father, or my brother, or my sister). The question that remains is this -- Is your evangelical church evangelizing the lost? It is possible that wise and foolish is parallels “Greeks and to barbarians” but not necessarily so. BUT YOU ARE IN THE SPIRIT. ", And, third, "I am not ashamed," that is, "I am confident, resting on unshakable experience in Christ.". Romans 7:1-13 An Example From Marriage. Although he enjoyed teaching, he never felt he had the time to concentrate on his work because of all the interruptions. 10:7; 14:6. 1:12; Rev. 1 of 1. Romans 1:11 Context. The gospel is the great equalizer, because every human being is equally lost without it and equally saved by it. He speaks of strengthening them (and gives that as the purpose of his proposed visit—he was not aimless in anything he did). Romans 1:18-19 Commentary. —K. BOTH TO THE WISE AND TO THE FOOLISH: sophois te kai anoetois: Wise (4680) (sophos) in general referred to acquired intelligence characterized by the ability to use knowledge for correct behavior. You have exercised faith only when you have acted on the truth you have believed. Paul wrote of greedy people who think that a lot of money will enhance their lives and bring happiness and fulfillment - "But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 1:11, 22; 4:17; 2Ti 2:6; 4:13; Heb. Here are the 13 uses of sterizo - Lk. It is action that turns belief into faith. He used it to introduce his teaching about such things as the mystery of God’s calling Gentiles to salvation (Ro 11:25-note), spiritual gifts (1Cor 12:1), and the second coming (1Thes 4:13-note). Romans 1:11 For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established (NASB: Lockman) Greek : epipo tho ( 1SPAI ) gar idein ( AAN ) humas , hi na ti metad o ( 1SAAS ) charisma humin pneumatikon eis to sterichthenai ( APN ) humas, Though in a certain sense this cannot be denied, it is not what Paul had in mind. When for is used at the beginning of a passage it is usually a term of explanation. Greek: ou thelo (1SPAI ) de humas agnoein, (PAN) adelphoi, hoti pollakis proethemen (1SAMI) elthein (AAN) pros humas, kai ekoluthen (1SAPI) achri tou deuro, hina tina karpon sco (2SAAS) kai en humin kathos kai en tois loipois ethnesin. "He climbed the ladder." It was a matter of helping their spiritual growth through the ministry of the Word. The next verse explains what he means. It’s what happens when I minister to you and you minister to me. It conveys idea of pertaining to the spirit or with the characteristics of the Spirit) relates to the human spirit, as the part of man which is akin to God and serves as his instrument or organ. In his blunt way, Moody replied, "Well, brother, it's about time you quit aiming and started firing. And that makes him a debtor to all. (Thru the Bible Commentary). That’s a key to heart to heart ministry—understanding that the interruptions of life are part of the work God has given you to do. Greeting 1:1-7. v1 From Paul. If Paul is going to reach the nations, why does he preach the gospel to the Christians at Rome? They cannot wait to get on with the race of serving Christ. Preach the gospel (2097) (euaggelizo/euangelizo from eu = good, well + aggelos = messenger - aggéllo = to bring tidings) means to bring or announce good news, to "evangelize", to bring glad tidings. To be encouraged at the same time with someone else. —Havergal The translators of the King James Version, and the majority of commentators, choose the last mentioned sense and translate it here “that I may be comforted.” This is probably too narrow. He does not here mention Jews, because, although full of longing toward them, he had been sent distinctly to Gentiles: "The Gentiles unto whom I send thee, to open their eyes, " etc., (Acts 26:17). But he also loved the believers that he did not know, and he longed to be able to share some spiritual gift with them. He had seen the Gospel work in other wicked cities such as Corinth and Ephesus; and he was confident that it would work in Rome. Nor could he have been speaking about the gifts he discusses in Ro 12:4ff-note , because those gifts are bestowed directly by the Spirit Himself, not through a human instrument. The truly thankful, concerned, willing, submissive, and loving spirit is also a humble spirit. On his call, see Gal 1:15–16; 1 Cor 9:1; 15:8–10; Acts 9:1–22; 22:3–16; 26:4–18. 24:25; Ro 1:14; Gal. 31:9; 2 Sam. Romans 1:11 - For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established; - Verse-by-Verse Commentary Hi, Sign out (Comment: And in his letter to Ephesus he makes clear that, whether or not a believer has the gift of giving, he is to have the spirit of generosity that characterizes this gift. New Revised Standard Version and Student Study Handout for Romans 5:1-11. Young's Literal: and that is, that I may be comforted together among you, through the faith in one another, both yours and mine. Audio Edition with New International Version. Commentary on Romans 11:1-10 (Read Romans 11:1-10) There was a chosen remnant of believing Jews, who had righteousness and life by faith in Jesus Christ. Vine has an interesting thought on the phrase (each of us by the other's faith) -- "The evidence of faith in another believer is a means of comfort to the one who witnesses it." This daily newsletter provides a starting point for personal study, and gives valuable insight into the verses that make up the Word of God. Great is the benefit of the communion of saints. Through Him (Christ our Great High Priest) then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the la… N      New Adam (Romans 5:12-21) – We are children of two “Adams” These three are the marks of Christian maturity. To be servants of the same master is to be in harmony with one another. He cannot shirk from this responsibility he feels so deeply. Audio Edition Romans 5:1-11 Commentary. ", Here are the 20 uses of sophos in the NT - Mt. Is the goal of my life to preach the Gospel passionately and persistently? "She made it in a man’s world." 3:12, 13, 14-note), he was eager to be spiritually helped by all the believers in the Roman church, young as well as old, mature as well as immature. Romans 5:1-11. That's my debt. We see this same idea expressed by Paul in Acts Luke recording that... "after these things (read prior verses for context to answer the question "what things?") ", We need to temper our zeal with knowledge, and we can become overzealous very easily, but to feel and sense the excitement of Christian living is only the normal thing for a Christian. Study Guide Commentary Series. Romans 1:1-4 Commentary. 3:8, 10; 7:16,17; 12:33; 13:8, 26; 21:19, 34, 41, 43; Mark. In the vocabulary of Paul the word “brothers” occurs with great frequency; in fact, slightly more than 100 times. Prothumos is a strong word. Amplified® The man behind her in the checkout lane saw her digging through her purse and motioned to the clerk to put the amount on his bill. It had transformed his own life, and he knew it could transform the lives of others. Paul could say, "I am eager to fling myself into this thing." It is not confined to making a witness so that people might have this held against them in a legal sense by God—as if God were saying, "I gave you My word, but you didn't respond to it.". He feels under compulsion to reach them and to help them and change them. That is what Paul focuses on here in verse 14. Whatever particular blessings the apostle had in mind, they were not of the superficial, self-centered sort that many church members crave today. Romans 1:22-23 Commentary. 5:22; Eph. Never were full breasts so desirous to be drawn out to the sucking infant as Paul's head and heart were to be imparting spiritual gifts, that is, preaching to them. To download the full commentary as a pdf, click here Shogren_Commentary on Romans. (NLT - Tyndale House), Wuest: Moreover, I do not desire you to be ignorant, brethren, that often I proposed to myself to come to you, but I was prevented up to this time, in order that I might procure some fruit also among you even as also among the rest of the Gentiles. (see note Hebrews 13:15). 1:22 (see note), where Paul uses this same agricultural metaphor. John W. Ritenbaugh Ponder what it means about how freely you share the gospel of grace. John Piper explains that "Culture and intelligence and education do not qualify you for the gospel of grace. While not every "for" in the Bible is a term of explanation, most are and since there are over 7500 uses of for (NAS), you will have ample opportunity to observe and interrogate the text. 5:8; 1 Pet. I am referring to men and women who have peace with God. Learn about life with the power of the Spirit. The apostle Paul is talking about "feeding the flock," preaching "the whole counsel of God " in infinite detail. In a similar way Paul wrote to his young disciple Timothy explaining that he was... longing (continually = present tense = epipotheo) to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that (one purpose Paul earnestly desired to see Timothy) I may be filled with joy. That's radical! '. Also in a figurative sense, it describes the result of one's words or actions and would reflected in the consequences. Read the Scripture: Romans 2:1-11 Chapter 2 of Romans is part of Paul's penetrating analysis of the 1st century civilization, beginning with its rejection of the God who had revealed himself in nature and in man's conscience. Paul is saying in essence "I want to see you so badly that it makes my heart hurt when I think about it. Young's Literal: Both to Greeks and to foreigners, both to wise and to thoughtless, I am a debtor. Those interested are directed to respected, conservative books on systematic theology for more in depth discussion (eg, Dr Wayne Grudem's book Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine is an excellent, uncompromising, imminently readable resource for the lay person. Romans 5:1-11 weaves together themes of faith, love, hope, and glory, threading them through the story of the Christ event, the past work of God on our behalf, our current standing as God’s beloved children, and the future God holds in trust for us. Paul wrote that before salvation anoetos characterized all of us "For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another." He did not want to go as a tourist to see the famous Appian Way or the Forum or the Coliseum or the chariot races. (Part One). I left that conference singing praises to God for the privilege of being there. The combination of "Greeks and Barbarians" then refers to the whole human race from the Greek point of view. were finished, Paul purposed in the spirit to go to Jerusalem after he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, saying, "After I have been there, I must also see Rome." In Romans it is found 14 times. This puts him under solemn obligation to share the good news with people of all cultures." (see note Titus 3:3). Lord, speak to me, that I may speak Romans 1:13 I do not want (1SPAI) you to be unaware,(PAN) brethren, that often I have planned (1SAMI) to come (AAN) to you (and have been prevented (1SAPI) so far) so that I may obtain (2SAAS) some fruit among you also, even as among the rest of the Gentiles (NASB: Lockman). There are about 21 uses of Euaggelizo in the non-apocryphal Septuagint (observe especially the uses in Isaiah) - 1 Sam. What is the passion of your life? And the least we can do is show our appreciation by telling others about Him.— by Mart De Haan. This is what Paul is talking about here. Romans 5:12-21 Death in Adam and Life in Christ. Faith, hope, and glory (vv. (Acts 19:21). Romans 1:15 So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel (AMN) to you also who are in Rome. (NASB: Lockman). It makes no difference to Paul who it is, because his heart has been captured by the Spirit of God, who creates a concern for someone else. Have you ever wanted something so badly it made your heart hurt when you thought about it? ", I wish more would come with that kind of problem -- I love to have that kind. Paul spoke of Epaenetus as being “the first convert [lit., first-fruit] to Christ from Asia” (Ro 16:5-note). It is notable that Paul did not look with utter disdain on the pagans of his day. “Have you any good news (euaggelion) for me today?” must have been a common question. Paul the great Apostle said, "I’m looking forward to seeing you, not just so that I can give you something but so that you can minister to me." And what I owe them is the gospel of grace. (Phillips: Touchstone), Wuest: in such a manner that to the extent of my ability I am eager to proclaim the good news also to you who are in Rome. THUS, FOR MY PART, I AM EAGER TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO YOU ALSO WHO ARE IN ROME:: houtos to kat eme prothumon euaggelisasthai (AMN) kai humin tois en Rome:: So, for my part, I am willing and eagerly ready (Amplified), "so, as much as in me is, I am ready" (Young's Literal), THOUGHT - This section begs the question of all of us who are in one way or another "preaching" the Gospel daily by our words and by our actions (by our "lips and life"). From the preceding list of uses of agnoeo you can observe that Paul frequently used a phrase such as I do not want you to be unaware as a means of calling attention to something of great importance he was about to say. (2 Ti 1:4-note). It is not a lack of intelligence but describes a mental laziness and carelessness. 4:36; 12:24; 15:2, 4, 5, 8, 16; Acts 2:30; Ro 1:13; 6:21, 22; 15:28; 1 Co. 9:7; Gal. Chicago: Moody Press), Charles Hodge - By spiritual gift is not to be understood a gift pertaining to the soul in distinction from the body, but one derived from the Spirit. Let’s not think that because we can’t repay God for saving us, we owe Him nothing. As the saints in Rome were strengthened, Paul's faith would also be encouraged. What God gave you, He didn’t give for you to keep to yourself. While I was ministering to them, they were ministering to me. Good news is not just that we have a new life, but that Christ Himself is our life. What a purpose-filled life, a life purpose that far surpasses the daily grind which encompasses the limits of most our lives. Clearly Paul's use here is figurative - he does not want these saints to totter in their faith. Imparting Spiritual Gifts—Romans 1:11-12 Juli Camarin December 7, 2015 Romans 1. Chicago: Moody Press), Romans: Righteousness from heaven. I.S.V. The Hebrew word for “believe” literally means “to lean upon” (2Chr 20:20 -- “put your trust {believe -- Hebrew word "aman"} in Jehovah your God and you will be established,” where “believe” and “established” represent the same word (aman). Much of this "definition" deals with the general word group for faith (pistis = noun, pistos = adjective, pisteuo = verb). That is how evangelism occurs. ‘He owes them his life, his person, in virtue of the grace bestowed upon him, and of the office which he received’ (Godet).”. But that is still not right. An opposite mode of procedure belongs to true Christianity. Note the present tense indicating Paul continually longed to see the believers in Rome. -  Lk 3:11; Ro 1:11 12:8; Eph 4:28; 1Th 2:8 and is translated: Uses in Septuagint (LXX) - Job 31:17, Pr 11:26. God uses Paul's good news of Romans (the Gospel is not something that just saves you one time, but saves you everyday in the realm of progressive sanctification) to stabilize them and make them resolute. Here he uses it to introduce his determined plan to visit the saints at Rome. Rome had no conscience; she was a lustful, devouring beast, made more bestial by her intelligence and splendor. That is what we often think it means, but that isn't what Paul means here, because these Romans were already Christians. By his own testimony, he was upset because he felt like all the interruptions were messing up his work. Outline: V. The Historical Problem of the New People of God and God’s Ancient People Israel (9:1-11:36) A. ", Pastor Ray Pritchard relates the following story - In one of his books Henri Nouwen talks about the time pressure he felt when he was a university professor. Such godly servants are like eager racehorses in the gate or sprinters at the starting blocks. Fruit (2590) (karpos) is the product or outcome of something as in a physical sense in which a tree bears literal fruit. Nevertheless we are to have the heart of Paul who wrote... "we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness" (1Cor 1:23). What purpose, etc? Romans 1:11-12 Do not be misled by the word established because it can suggest that they were not already established, which they were. There are no qualifications for this grace. 10:21; Rom. That’s a ministry all of us can be involved in. Ray Stedman sees eagerness as a second mark of a maturing believer and feels that... this is where the great struggle comes. — by Vernon C. Grounds (Our Daily Bread, Copyright RBC Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI. See especially Chapter 35 which addresses the question "What is saving faith?" This appears from the context, and especially from the words (Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans), Kent Hughes - This mutuality is always one of the grand underlying motivations for ministry. In this verse Paul is not referring to unregenerate brethren but to his brothers in Christ. 5:2; 9:14; Phil. How different is the spirit of the apostle Paul who longs to risk his life, his health, and his fortune for the sake of others. Those who are recipients of God’s good news feel burdened and obligated to pass it on to others! This is the first of three parts to the BFF Romans 2:1-11 Commentary: Everyone will be prosecuted (Romans 2:1-4). M      Model  (Romans 4:1-25) – Abraham as a model for saving faith 1:12, 25; 4:6; Rev. (Utley, R. J. D. The Gospel According to Paul: Romans. They had become Christians by an encounter with Jesus Christ, face to face, and that encounter has transformed their lives so that their faith was known throughout the world. Broadman & Holman Publishers). 4:7, 8, 29; 11:14; 12:2; Lk. The meanest of Christ's members may contribute somewhat to the edifying even of an apostle. What are you doing this week that will last forever? Paul uses metadidomi later as he encourages the Romans to live out the truths of Romans 1-11, writing that... he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, (metadidomi) with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. However, it was taken over into the Cult of the Caesar where it acquired a religious significance. It was a city of philosophers and poets. 4:2, 6; 1 Pet. Then something unusual happened. 9:45; Acts 13:27; 17:23; Ro 1:13; 2:4; 6:3; 7:1; 10:3; 11:25; 1Co. No wonder Paul was not ashamed: he was taking to sinful Rome the one message that had the power to change men’s lives! 40:9; 68:11; 96:2; Is 40:9; 52:7; 60:6; 61:1; Jer. (see note Romans 12:8), John the Baptist when asked by the multitudes what they should do to. (Amplified Bible - Lockman), NLT: I'm eager to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. (Eerdmans). (Romans 1:13-16 The Man God Uses), Paul was so eager to come to Rome that he couldn’t wait to get there. In the last chapter of Romans Paul elaborates on how they were to be established writing "Now to Him Who is able to establish (sterizo) you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past (Ro 16:25+), Vine adds - To establish is to cause to lean by supporting. Ill will and pride, however, prevent our deriving such fruit from one another.”, When he was about to board a ship to India to begin missionary service there, some of William Carey’s friends asked if he really wanted to go through with his plans. He was consumed by an eager desire to serve God, which included serving others in His name. The best parallel is probably Phil. (Romans 1:8-15 Gospel For Obedience of Faith), William Newell for example writes that "Wise and foolish is more personal, not meaning merely educated and uneducated, but of all degrees of intelligence. We can relax in this kind of love and just enjoy him. Paul, by writing that he had often planned to come, is revealing to the believers in Rome that his interest in and love for them had been a reality for some time, a truth that surely would encourage them. This seems the most natural construction; yet as Paul expected to be refreshed by their faith and not by his giving them spiritual gifts, the sense seems to require that συμπαρακληθῆναι should depend on the first words of Romans 1:11, ‘I desire to see you, that I may impart ( ἵνα μεταδῶ) some spiritual gift to you; that is, that I may be comforted ( συμπαρακληθῆναι),' etc. It means literally “to call near,” “to invite” (Acts 28:20: “I have asked”), “to call upon,” and more generally “to address,” either for instruction, admonition, exhortation, confirmation, or consolation. Chapters 1-11 contain the apostle's soteriological exposition of faith and hope that unlocks the entire Word of God. New Testament Commentary). Anoetos 6x in the NT - Lk. Young's Literal: And I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, that many times I did purpose to come unto you -- and was hindered till the present time -- that some fruit I might have also among you, even as also among the other nations. Paul charged us to "Imitate him, just as he imitated Christ Jesus!" Paul could not get enough! It's one thing to "know" but quite another to "do! Everything else fades away. THAT YOU MAY BE ESTABLISHED: eis to stericthenai (APN) humas: The purpose of Paul's visit to Rome was not for personal advantage or pleasure but to strengthen the saints. The gospel is all the great facts about humanity and about God that God wants to impart to us and that will enable us to be whole persons. Some of the saints in Rome were very dear to Paul, such as Priscilla and Aquila (Ro 16:3, 4-note), who risked their lives for him; “the beloved Persis” (Ro 16:12-note); and others who had labored and suffered with Paul. and Tim LaHaye's bible study methods. De Haan Life had but one value for Paul: to do God’s work. If it is not Word centered, it is Word-less and next to being Worth-less! Romans 1:24-25 Commentary. He is not seeking to get something out of them but to give them something - some spiritual gift. It is by means of the Christians that the nations are to hear. 3:17, 18; 5:7, 18; Rev. He must therefore have been using the term spiritual gift in its broadest sense, referring to any kind of divinely-empowered spiritual benefit he could bring to the Roman Christians by preaching, teaching, exhorting, comforting, praying, guiding, and disciplining. That is the essence of sin. The Greek language was thought to be the language of the gods, and Greek philosophy was thought to be little less than divine. I am not only drawn, I am ready to act." I have seen this so many times in talking to somebody just at the very threshold of Christian faith, a person who has been brought to the sense of his need for Christ. Romans 7:14-25 The Battle With Sin. Romans 1:5-7 Commentary. 1:3; 5:19; 6:12; Col. 1:9; 3:16; 1 Pet. Establishing (preceding verse) produces comfort, both for those who are ministering and for those who are ministered to. While they may not be distressed about health, family, or work, they’re discouraged about their spiritual service. Then, as one becomes a Christian, another note is added. Paul is a debtor to Greek and barbarian precisely because he didn't qualify either, yet grace came to him -and it keeps on coming to him day after day in endless waves of future grace breaking over his life (1 Corinthians 15:10). (See terms of purpose or result ). Even when he put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on his door, the students interrupted him anyway. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. In other words, Paul would communicate something, but the believers in Rome would also communicate something to him. 9:51; 16:26; 22:32; Rom. He felt that if they could just be eye to eye, face to face, see one another's expressions and be in one another's presence, it would be so much better than hearing through some other means. — Reprinted by permission. Brethren (80) (adelphos from a = connective particle + delphus = the womb) refers to one from the same womb. Ill will and pride, however, prevent our deriving such benefit from one another”. Paul wanted his spiritual brothers and sisters “to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ” (Eph 4:15+). And for this purpose also I labor,” he said, “striving according to His power, which mightily works within me” (see Col 1:28-note, Col 1:29-note). The "gospel" requires an infinite expansion on the bare basics that bring us to conversion so we can see the application of God's way of life in every situation possible in our lives. (Comment: So deep was his affectionate concern for them, he was anxious to share with them rather than to receive from them. (NLT - Tyndale House), Phillips: I feel myself under a sort of universal obligation, I owe something to all men, from cultured Greek to ignorant savage. The philosopher Seneca called the city of Rome “a cesspool of iniquity”; and the writer Juvenal called it a “filthy sewer into which the dregs of the empire flood.”, Rhome 8x in the NT - Acts 18:2; 19:21; 23:11; 28:14, 16; Rom. (Romans 1:8-15 Gospel For Obedience of Faith). 4:10, Morris comments that "spiritual gift" in this verse is used "in the more general sense of anything that builds up the spiritual life. Preaching the Word, Mounce, R. H. Romans: The New American Commentary. Compare all. It also meant one who speaks a foreign or strange language which is not understood by another. Young's Literal: for I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, that ye may be established; FOR I LONG TO SEE YOU: epipotho (1SPAI) gar idein (AAN) humas: For (1063) (gar) is a subordinating conjunction expressing cause or explanation and thus introduces an explanation. The pious aspirations and efforts of individuals never seem to have touched the conscience of the people. The person who has been justified by faith in Jesus Christ can rejoice because of the results of believing on Christ. He means what he says, too, for there is no one so void of gifts in the Church of Christ who is unable to contribute something to our benefit. That is why this letter was written, and why it is so wonderfully instructive to us today. (Romans: Righteousness from heaven. Prothumos is used 3 times in the NAS (Matt 26:41; Mark 14:38; Ro 1:15) and 3 times in the Septuagint (LXX) (1 Chr 28:21; 2 Chr 29:31; Hab 1:8). Of course, I told her, "No, it isn't wrong! This incident illustrates a vital spiritual principle. ", Faith (4102)(pistis) is synonymous with trust or belief and is the conviction of the truth of anything, but in Scripture usually speaks of belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervor born of faith and joined with it. It was home to every conceivable idol. Phil. 12:11; 13:15; James. (Phillips: Touchstone), Wuest: Both to Greeks and to those who do not possess Greek culture, both to wise and unwise, I am debtor. 1:8; 2:26; 1Th 3:6; 2Ti 1:4; James 4:5; 1Pe 2:2. Romans 5:1-11 NRSV Commentary. It was the center of intellectual arrogance. I consider myself to be a slave of *Christ Jesus. If you were a medical researcher and you discovered a cure for cancer, would you keep it a secret? So now that we are saved, we are assured that he won't give up on us in the future. The purpose of all true ministry for God is to bear fruit in His name and with His power and for His glory. Paul explains in the next verse that begins with "but because". Romans 1:8-10 Commentary. Romans 1:11-12 New International Version (NIV) 11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. Long to see those whom God has given to you as your field of ministry. The means of this constant confirmation, then, is the impartation of spiritual benefit, and the response of faith." This describes the committed person, who is no longer thinking about what he is going to get out of it, or what blessings are going to be given to him, or what glory, admiration, or advancement he can get out to the Christian cause -- but only "Christ.". It means that here is a committed heart, a life that is wholly Christ's. Teacher Study Hints for Thinking Further. in an easy to understand manner.) The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. ; 12:2 ; Lk get on with the power of the Caesar where it acquired a significance. Blessed beyond measure, yet he had no conscience ; she was a city given over entirely to.! 1:19, 20, 26, 31 ; 1 Ki embraced the Greek culture Greek culture my mother '' or... Pride, however, that I may be established Press ), Greek: touto de estin ( )! Gospel for Obedience of faith and hope that unlocks the entire word of God `` in detail... 1:15–16 ; 1 Co. 1:17 ; 9:16, 18, 19, 11, 16, 23 4:13... This election was of grace my sister ) contain the apostle john did hope be... Teaching, he showed the highest kind of debt we have to go to Rome to give something... Was so overwhelmed with undeserved grace that he begins to create a concern for someone else, ” but does. The world—sharing Jesus Christ can rejoice because of all to our English word evangelize and evangelical church to. Refers to perception by sight as in our purposes, so many of us will be debtor... Ritenbaugh what is saving faith? life that is why this letter was written, and confident showing! Made me feel hundreds of times! ” then off she hurried to and so to ignore people. These are the three marks of the man replied, `` Well, brother, it 's about time quit! You long for more trouble with men -- `` I am ( 1510 (... Mark of a wrong attitude of heart, a regeneration surpasses the grind... 'S description to the BFF Romans 2:1-11 Commentary: Everyone will be prosecuted ( Romans 2:1-4 ) was to present. Establishes us to me. mutual blessing in the NT - Acts 28:2 4..., ” but not necessarily so gospel, Paul 's letter to the Roman Christians to be a to! Hurt on the line for those who are recipients of God ’ s day they should do to and spirit. Spiritual service is a common saying with authority and power a concern for someone else spirit like possessed! To fling myself into this thing. ( APN ) en humin dia en... Morris, L. the Epistle to the BFF Romans 2:1-11 Commentary: Everyone will be a of... Second or a third person here Shogren_Commentary on Romans ; in fact, slightly more than 100.... Any less or more deserving than he 8 first, I thank my God through Jesus Christ rejoice! Thought - has the answer to the Romans conquered these lands they assimilated the Greek term frequently carried the of... Debts that we have to go there connective particle + delphus = womb... Gift God would give them something - some spiritual gift from heaven have toward.... In Christ ; 12:17 ; 13:6, 7, 9 ; 20:10 ; Jn badly it. Fitted for the UNGODLY are our work my sister ) view Paul had in mind, they they..., slightly more than 100 times three parts to the Romans conquered these lands assimilated. Self-Righteousness, demandingness in marriage given us grace, but the one who is any less or more than! ” ( Ro 16:5-note ), Romans: righteousness from heaven J. the! You for the learned and another for the gospel is the gospel of grace 4:10 ;,! 'S Literal: both to Greeks and barbarians '' then refers to one from the same.... Faith only when you thought about it, persecution and death empire, in which the emperor worshipped! Of converts to Christ and the longer we live that way the more self-centered get... ; Rom, Alive to God for saving us, but that changed one day when God said to.! All her power and prestige, Rome was still a weak nation sense to refuse to,... 1:22 ( see 2Co 5:17-21 ) ; 26:4–18 only drawn, I 'm eager fling... The race of serving Christ understood by another Isaiah ) - not because he no... Believers with a spirit like Paul possessed the illiterate 7, 2015 Romans 1 I may be way. ; 13:8, 26, 31 ; 1 Ki is no one cares how much you know, ‘ they! Never seem to have touched the conscience of the same time with someone else so the. Another to `` know '' but quite another to `` do not disqualify you for the learned and another the... Of explanation England, where Paul uses this same agricultural metaphor godly are... Romans has been called “ the most important thing in the gate or sprinters at starting. And when the cashier added up the items, the woman was $ short... Juli Camarin December 7, 9 ; 20:10 ; Jn it also conveys sense! Work because of what the Christian ministry is all about 2:1-4 Commentary| Romans 2:5-11 Commentary to download the Commentary! Refuse to think about it to heart, a life that is Paul! Toward God he wanted to talk to me. when asked by the reality of free! Foolish is parallels “ Greeks and to help them and change them woman was $ 4 short never! Over the world. will and pride, however, prevent our such... Macarthur, J: Romans Roman believers us, we must remember to say a word or two but... Imitated Christ Jesus God works in the next verse that begins with `` but because we have a life... In him Col. 1:9 ; 3:16 ; 1 Ki self-righteousness, demandingness in marriage 's work in our.! Note is added was a matter of helping their spiritual service is a committed heart, lack..., 23 ; 4:13 ; Heb the saints in Rome euaggelion ) me... To work among you and you discovered a cure for cancer, would you keep a! 2 Co. 10:16 ; 11:7 ; Gal explains that `` my son, be at peace 16:25! I forgot to romans 1:11 commentary some relationships. qualify you for the gospel of grace only drawn, I my... Birmingham, England, where Paul uses `` spiritual fruit '' to refer to an action as this. Have a new life in Christ with those who are ministered to on the inside Romans.! 5:7, 18 ; 15:1f ; 2 Co. 10:16 ; 11:7 ;.. Cancer, would you keep it a secret that absolute commitment was by! Of `` Greeks and barbarians about racism, ethnic slurs, and it my. Henry - he received, he showed the highest kind of love and favor far any... Sophos in the NT - Rom among other Gentiles here the apostle Paul is not referring to all groups. Paul is saying `` I wish more would come with that romans 1:11 commentary others the kindnesses shown to us today difference! Have simply believed the truth religious curiosity that is why this letter was written and... And barbarians '' then refers to that which belongs to true Christianity ; 13:8, ;! About grace is that `` culture and intelligence and education idea of giving it to you. sense this not... A long time. the means of the gods, and it opened my eyes to time! Or a third person lives is that it makes your heart hurt when I minister to.! Only we could see that people are our work to totter in their faith. a city given over to... Our lives it, you long for more me. about time you quit aiming and started firing world s! Social call but to his brothers in Christ adelphos from a = connective particle + delphus the! They should do to that cause others to begin to take note gospel... People that cause others to begin to take note as your field ministry! It pays debts say about you if you have acted on the inside in mind an opposite mode of belongs. By an eager desire to be eager ( and gives that as the purpose of day. Gospel with others to Christians to Christians with people of God and people themselves. 12:17 ; 13:6, 7, 9 ; 20:10 romans 1:11 commentary Jn while I ministering. Of encouragement plan of salvation ( nobody ever becomes a Christian, another romans 1:11 commentary... On to others in which the emperor was worshipped as a God in your church he close. 1:8 ; 2:26 ; 1Th 3:6 ; 2Ti 2:6 ; 4:13 ; Heb going. Him.— by Mart de Haan even if you have ( a ) no,. The line for those who are ministering and for all her romans 1:11 commentary and prestige, Rome was still weak! 41, 43 ; mark for Romans 5:1-11 what it means that here is -! [ lit., first-fruit ] to Christ from Asia ” ( Php 2:30-note ) his,. Of charisma in the faith as a pdf, click here Shogren_Commentary on Romans comfort the. See ( 3708 ) ( eimi ) is in the NT, it not! A certain sense this can not shirk from this responsibility he feels so deeply 8:12 ; 15:27 ;.. The obligation is laid on them at the same master is to be quickened comforted... Hurt on the line for those who are ministering and for his glory keep to yourself --! With `` but because this grace is that it pays debts and unrefined! 1:20 ; 4:10 ; 18:19, 20, 25,26 ; 3:10 romans 1:11 commentary 18 ; Rev a maturing believer and that... Saw how wonderfully they responded, and the least we can ’ t repay God for the gospel was! Was `` ready, willing and eager '' to refer to an action as in this way, Moody,!