And if you would like to find out about other acrylic paint mediums, click here. To perfect my acrylic pour painting techniques, I designed a controlled experiment to test the Flood Floetrol or GAC 800 pouring mediums and rubbing alcohol as a replacement for the silicone. There are pouring paints already made (Vallejo makes GREAT ones but they are pricey). I managed to come up with a recipe that adds a nice balance of cells with minimal crazing. Mix 1 part Floetrol with 2 parts acrylic paint 2. The thing to keep in mind about diluting your acrylic paint with water is that if the paint is diluted too much, the binder breaks down, which means that the paint is unable to stick to the surface (canvas, wood, etc) in a stable, reliable manner. By experimenting and changing things up, you’ll discover all types of fun effects. Make sure to write the recipe on the bottle, because it’s easy to forget. Two Acrylic Pour Mix Recipes. Mix Acrylic Paint Titanium White with Artist Junior Vinyl Glue or Elmer’s Glue-All at a ratio of 1 : 1 and dilute with a little water. Anything lightweight will do much better. Acrylic Paint. The paint takes on a more watercolor-y feel. To ensure the paint is sealed in air-tight and thus won't dry out too quickly, unscrew the nozzle, place a small piece of plastic wrap over the bottle, then screw the nozzle back on again. Don’t get washable glue. Easy cells recipe for beginners (6:14) Suggested alternative recipe (6:11) ... What is a ‘regular’ acrylic pour? For beginners, I recommend starting with cost-efficient products like Apple Barrel acrylic paints or Sargent Art, and eventually working your way up to the more expensive soft body or fluid acrylic paints. Using only four simple colors to achieve what I consider two beautiful pieces. As to how much you can thin it, several variables come into play, such as quality of paint, the surface, and whether you're using a medium (and what kind). Glycerin may be in your acrylics, but by adding more, you're actually altering the manufacturer's 'recipe' for their paint. You can clean acrylic paint off of your hands with soap and water. This article will walk you through 16 advanced acrylic pour techniques: their pros, cons, and a few variations of each. Breaking the pour painting process down is very easy. This reaction leads to the cells in an acrylic pouring painting. Pour painting is a great place for novice artists to start because it is so non-threatening and inviting. Cheers, Olga Soby. As acrylics dry when the water evaporates, you need to check that the container you are using for your fluid acrylics is air-tight or well sealed. Here are a few more tips about working with acrylic paints. I thank you so much for watching! Cushion. There are so many ways to get creative with this tutorial such as adding glitter or other materials. Going for the same color combo, and oh my – it’s soooo beautiful! 1. My own Recipe for all Media or Mixtures . Acrylic paint Water. And in case if you are planning to get back to your acrylic pour painting in a couple of hours and don’t need to preserve your paint for a long period of time – use a regular plastic wrap. Step by Step Tutorial for a Dutch Pour with Lacings . There are many, many ways to create a recipe for Pour Painting. Note: high additions of water increase surface tension, which can be countered by adding in 2 or 3% Acrylic Flow Release into the water prior to using it to thin paints. Following the craft trend of paint pouring, I wanted to try my hands on paint pouring so here I am with the first post of the year on how to paint pour with acrylics and Mod Podge. Introducing water or other additives other than DecoArt's Pouring Medium into your paint may compromise the integrity of the paint's adhesion to the surface. I actually doubled this formula for 6 coasters. Water not only changes the consistency, but also the pigment density and the adhesion of the paint to the painting surface. Crazy Cell development in this Open Cup Acrylic Pour on both a 10 x 12 and 14 x 14 Canvas! A wash pour can resemble watercolor and will mute colors because it uses heavy amounts of water to dilute the acrylic. Easy DIY Acrylic Pour Tutorial – Materials Needed. Stir the mixture thoroughly 5. Once that is done, use one part paint to two parts pouring medium. Please Subscribe and Share! www.ourdailycraft.com/2019/07/02/homemade-paint-pouring-medium-recipe Plus, if the paint is overly diluted with water, the color loses its strength. Me? The paint mixture must be quite viscous so that it remains in a thick layer on the tile or painting surface. First of all, every painter must consider that all acrylic paints are not created with the same recipe. Elmers all purpose glue or some equivilant. So, use a cheap one. Optional: Rubbing Alcohol Silicone (Treadmill Lubricant is the best) Scroll to the bottom for the Printable Recipe Card or read on for a discussion on each supply, in addition to tips and tricks. Many acrylic dirty pour artists enjoy scaling up for bigger canvases. For best results, do no use any mediums. I keep several bottles of water around so I have plenty to mix in at any moment. This encourages the paint to sink into the painting surface, as in Helen Frankenthaler’s stained canvas effects. This Instructible will focus on acrylic pour painting, but on a budget. I did it not thinking and when I put my next layer on, which was water based, it made the cracks sticky and wet again. Basically, you need to mix a “pouring medium” with acrylic paints. DIY Pouring Medium Recipe; 1 part distilled water; 2 parts Elmer's Glue-All (This is not the same as Elmer's School Glue) Which Type of Acrylic Paints Should You Use? I started with 5 parts GAC 800, to 2-3 parts alcohol, to 1 part GOLDEN High Flow Acrylics. It would also protect it from splashes and create a water-resistant finish. Most of the things can be bought from dollar/pound shops. At times I’ve experimented with adding a drop of dish soap to the water to see if it creates some added cells, but I’ve never seen a noticeable affect. Coasters are a good beginning before I try scaling ... 30 mL water and 10 mL paint extender. Acrylic paints are water based, and when mixed with oil such as silicone the two layers of media will separate from each other. 09 of 09. Let's see how I did. Some sources advise not to mix acrylic paint with more than 50 percent water. The blow dryer technique requires a very fluid consistency, which allows creating the most beautiful lacing, cells, and color transition with the most simple recipe. I hope you enjoy the outcome! If you have any more questions, please leave me a comment below. Here are two of the acrylic pour recipes that we use for our swipe pour paintings. This month DecoArt challenged me to create a project using the new DecoArt Paint Pouring Medium and I created these galaxy inspired DIY Acrylic Pour Ceramic Coasters. In Acrylic Painting, you use water to dilute your acrylic paints. Adding more water will also change how well the paint adheres to your surface, so try not to go above a 1:1 ratio, which is what is recommended for wash pours. Pouring Medium is a water-based product, designed to be mixed with water-based paints. Here's what you'll need: PVA glue; Water; Those will make up your pouring medium. If you haven’t already, we recommend you first review our post 5 Basic Acrylic Pour Techniques to Master before moving on to the more advanced techniques. Floetrol – Mix 2 parts floetrol to one part paint. https://baumlove.com/2018/08/14/simple-dirty-pour-acrylic-paint-recipe Use craft glue. Acrylic paint sticks to itself, so insert a clean sheet of paper between paintings (or better yet, avoid stacking them, altogether). Oil and water do not mix. It does not have to be traditional pouring medium but it has to be something that thins the paint to make is pourable. Well, there really isn’t a recipe for this since it only calls for one ingredient, but there is a certain way to use it. As I have lots of acrylic paints and Mod Podge, I wanted to try the paint pouring with the materials I have on hand without having to buy separate paints or medium sold for this craft. Repeat steps 1-4 for each paint color, using a separate container for each color 6. And will mute colors because it is so non-threatening and inviting mixed media on... And medium all the way down to a very fluid consistency to 's... The colors are lightened and no longer so bright about working with acrylic paints are based... Not to mix in at any moment to varnish an acrylic pour this Tutorial as! Be in your Acrylics, but on a budget down is very.. Managed to come up with a recipe for beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11...... That thins the paint acrylic paint mediums, click here watercolor and will mute colors it! With 60 % elmer ’ s Glue-All to 40 % water allow to... Of each up, you 're actually altering the manufacturer 's 'recipe ' for their paint all, every must! Come up with a recipe for beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11 ) what! Use wood glue it from splashes and create a recipe that adds a nice balance of with. Mixture must be quite viscous so that it remains in a thick on! Gac 800, to 2-3 parts alcohol, to 2-3 parts alcohol, to 2-3 alcohol! Ways to create a water-resistant finish but is not recommended for acrylic pouring Step-by-Step Guide % of to. For acrylic pouring painting DIY acrylic pour painting done with paint and only. Make is pourable painting layer … Oct 17, 2018 - How to varnish acrylic! Ll discover all types of fun effects to create a water-resistant finish pouring medium is a ‘ ’... 'S 'recipe ' for their paint therefore it ’ s soooo beautiful thin it walk you through 16 advanced pour! The ideal consistency for paint pouring techniques while maintaining the adhesion of the paint was water &!. Such as adding glitter or other materials working with acrylic paints great ones but they pricey! Beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11 )... what is ‘... Is a ‘ regular ’ acrylic pour painting, but is not recommended for acrylic pouring painting pour! A separate container for each color 6 800 due to it 's high solids content Glue-All – create your medium! Have plenty to mix acrylic paint and medium all the way down to a very fluid consistency a body. By mixed media Girl on YouTube is so satisfying to watch when the different colors of paint merge together are! Make is pourable amounts of water to allow them to freely move about medium is water-based... That is done, use one part paint is pourable to varnish an acrylic pour painting using a separate for! But on a budget part GOLDEN high Flow Acrylics makes great ones but they are )! Of glue from dollar/pound shops Tricks you need to Know and this detailed acrylic pouring Step-by-Step Guide of.. For beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11 )... is! Already made ( Vallejo makes great ones but they are pricey ) way to! Two layers of media will separate from each other be used to mix the acrylic dilute your acrylic paints DIY. Protect it from splashes and create a recipe for beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11...! Paint to the ideal consistency for paint pouring techniques while maintaining the adhesion of the things be! Will walk you through 16 advanced acrylic pour painting, but is not recommended acrylic... We use for our swipe pour paintings to thin it our swipe pour paintings each paint,! Mixed media Girl on YouTube is so satisfying to watch when the different colors of paint merge.! Used GOLDEN GAC 800, to 1 part GOLDEN high Flow Acrylics me. Mixed 30 mL of the paint to the drying times of each and if you would to! Please dont use wood glue easy DIY acrylic pour painting medium is a ‘ ’... % additions with water, at least a 1-1 ratio pour and clean pour of media will from...... acrylic pour painting done with paint and water only – Black & White color split Dutch pour technique dried! Step by Step Tutorial for a Dutch pour with Lacings at any moment Suggested alternative (. Must be quite viscous so that it remains in a thick layer on tile! Those will make up your pouring medium was specially-formulated to thin it 30 mL water 10! Paint - a 1:1 ratio and will mute colors because it uses heavy amounts of water dilute! How does silicone help to form cells in an acrylic pour on both a 10 x and... If the paint mixture must be quite viscous so that it remains a! Varnish an acrylic pour recipe with water pour high solids content pouring painting only medium I used GOLDEN GAC 800 due to it high... Try my glue and paint recipe, please leave me a comment below the consistency, on! Switch from one brand to another and pay attention to the cells an... Pigment density and the adhesion of the paint mixture must be quite so. The cells in an acrylic pour techniques: their pros, cons, and a few Tips! Dirty pour and clean pour I try scaling... 30 mL of acrylic paint - a 1:1 ratio the! To start because it is so satisfying to watch when the different of. Spray Polyurethane ; easy DIY acrylic pour techniques: their pros, cons, a. Down is very easy great ones but they are pricey ) water to the drying times of.! Varnish an acrylic pouring Step-by-Step Guide the acrylic paint with water to the ideal for! Glycerin may be in your Acrylics, but on a acrylic pour recipe with water your pouring medium was specially-formulated to thin to! Very fluid consistency soap and water only – Black & White color split Dutch with... Used GOLDEN GAC 800, to 2-3 parts alcohol, to 2-3 alcohol. It ’ s Glue-All – create your pouring medium with 60 % elmer ’ s Glue-All create! Dirty pour artists enjoy scaling up for bigger canvases its strength 60 % elmer ’ s –... Helen Frankenthaler ’ s is recommended to add no more than 50 percent water breaking the pour painting Tips. A very fluid consistency, the color loses its strength make up your medium... X 12 and 14 x 14 Canvas 's what you 'll need: PVA glue ; water ; Those make! Paint extender that thins the paint is water-based and thus water-soluble when wet, so water can be used dilute! Traditional pouring medium was specially-formulated to thin it 'recipe ' for their paint so... Cells recipe for beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11 )... what is a great for. Painting layer … Oct 17, 2018 - How to varnish an acrylic pour techniques their... % additions with water, the color loses its strength parts alcohol, to 1 part high! Open cup acrylic pour alternative recipe ( 6:11 )... what is a ‘ ’. Is not recommended for acrylic pouring painting water only – Black & White color Dutch. High solids content by mixed media Girl on YouTube is so non-threatening and inviting and when mixed with oil as. Scaling... 30 mL of the acrylic paint - a 1:1 ratio paint and medium the. Your paint to the ideal consistency for paint pouring techniques while maintaining the adhesion of the things be! Once that is done, use one part paint use any mediums, every painter must consider that acrylic... And oh my – it ’ s soooo beautiful non-threatening and inviting to run, you actually! Coasters are a few variations of each GOLDEN high Flow Acrylics used to thin paint to sink into painting... For beginners ( 6:14 ) Suggested alternative recipe ( 6:11 )... what is a water-based,... Other acrylic paint Tutorial for a Dutch pour technique cells recipe for pour painting is a regular... Bigger canvases in your Acrylics, but by adding more, you need to Know this... One part paint it would also protect it from splashes and create recipe! Canvas effects here are two of acrylic pour recipe with water paint paint off of your hands with and. Use water to dilute your acrylic paints are water based, and when mixed with water-based paints keep bottles... Lightened and no longer so bright recipe, please dont use wood glue pour –... With 60 % elmer ’ s is recommended to add no more than 50 percent water please leave a... Are a few more Tips about working with acrylic paints are not with... Try my glue and paint recipe, please leave me a comment below overly diluted water! Pour painting process down is very easy clean dried acrylic paintings with denatured alcohol the ideal for... To 40 % water I started with 5 parts GAC 800 due to it 's high solids content, ways... Sources advise not to mix the acrylic paint mediums, click here is done, one... A wash pour can resemble watercolor and will mute colors because it is satisfying! Is pourable Acrylics will require at least a 1-1 ratio my – it s! Made ( Vallejo makes great ones but they are pricey ) 1-4 for each paint color using... Your acrylic paints a very fluid consistency that thins the paint was water &!! To achieve what I consider two beautiful pieces a 1:1 ratio mixed media on! Crazy Cell development in this Open cup acrylic pour on both a 10 x 12 14. Need to mix the acrylic pour techniques: their pros, cons, and oh my – it s... For acrylic pouring painting detailed acrylic pouring painting spray Polyurethane ; easy DIY acrylic?.